It’s about time I do the review for this though I have gotten the soundtrack via YesAsia awhile back. (YES, blame it on desktop failure so couldn’t scan stuff.) Must say that the collection is worth it. Well, if you didn’t collect some of the songs in here already. But let’s get started, eh?
1) Not Complete Without You (有你才完整) by Fu Qiong Yin (符瓊音). The main theme song. I don’t know, but man, to listen to it more carefully, it’s perfect for the drama itself. The lyrics are penned by Yang Pei An and the music written by Xiao Huang Qi. The perfect duo to do the deed, right? At least I thought so. Then combine in Fu Qiong Yin’s voice is just so suitable for the whole atmosphere of the song. At first, I was wondering if it was written by both Yang and Xiao, why didn’t they sing it? But after listening to the theme song a few more times, I got it. Good choice indeed. My favorite part where this song was being played in the drama was in episode 8 where Zhong Ze was searching for Xiao Yu in the woods and found her finally. He ran over and hugged her before she could say anything (except for his name). The song was really suitable for that moment because Zhong Ze finally let his bottled up feelings out, proving that he really cared for Xiao Yu–unlike what he said before about only having ‘revenge’ in his heart. I think, either way, this song works for both of them because, without either one, they wouldn’t feel complete.
2) Writing a Blissful Song Because of You (為你寫一首幸福的歌) by Chen Guo Hua (陳國華). A sweet, somewhat leaning on a mushy side song. Not bad actually. I didn’t really pay attention the first time around yet listening to it again brought some nice feel to it.
3) Want to Hear You Say (想聽你說) by Mi Er Si (米兒絲). This song, I remember, was played during the conversation between Xiao Yu and Ah Bao in episode 8 where she was calling to apologize to him for scolding him previously. Not sure if it was being played some other time (and I might have missed it), but that was one of the memorable scenes. It really suits the feelings Ah Bao has toward Xiao Yu. Kind of one-sided but still cute in a way.
4) The Heart’s Regret (心中的遺憾) by Yuki Hsu (徐懷鈺). Kind of sad is an understatement. This song always brings some kind of bittersweet feeling to me. I can’t tag it to a specific scene of the drama but it must have been played in the drama from time to time. With the complications throughout with Zhong Ze and Xiao Yu’s feelings for one another and other factors involved, the song already hinted so much. Quite suitable.
5) Living in Your Heart (住進你心窩) by Ai Cheng (艾成). I think this song was another song played at one time or another in Rookies’ Diary but I can’t remember a specific episode or moment, but could remember that it was used. Regarding this drama though, I think this is talking about Ah Bao? Like how he’s always wanting to live in Xiao Yu’s heart yet could only be her best friend. Yet he’s not bitter about it either–at least not at the beginning, but would always support her and encourage her on. Oh yeah, how could I forget the time when this song was playing was in episode 6 when Xiao Yu was yanking the pillow away from Ah Bao, causing him to fall off the bed. (LOL!) Told you it was for Ah Bao.
6) A Very Difficult Goodbye (再見太難) by Li De Hui (利得彙). Not really my favorite or has that much impact when I listen to it. But I must admit it’s another good choice to include for the drama’s soundtrack. While listening to this song, the scene where Xiang Xiang was urging Xiao Yu to go say a proper goodbye to Zhong Ze before he went away (to Japan) came to mind. It was in episode 5–and when I was going back to check, it was indeed playing in the background when Xiao Yu was chasing after Zhong Ze on her bike–and finally giving up.
7) How Could It Possibly Be Loneliness? (怎麼可能會寂寞) by Wu Ting Che (吳听徹). NOT sure if I got the translation correct but indeed a nice song. Kind of long-winded (lol), but I guess it drives the point in the end. I don’t remember it being played in the drama but it must have. It’s just that it’s not really my favorite.
8) I Love You (我愛你) by Xu Jin Hao (許晉豪). A song written and composed by Chen Guo Hua. I thought it would get lame since the title is just so simple yet it sure proved me wrong. I forgot when it was played in the drama yet I had a feeling it was suitable for Zhong Ze and Xiao Yu. So much has happened between them but I think the ending proved that the song rings true.
9) Qi Xu (祈許) by Liu Hong Ling (劉虹翎). I don’t know. Too much brain work with figuring out the title. I get it, just can’t put it so that it sounds good and doesn’t lose its meaning at the same time. But about the song, a touching song. I honestly don’t know which one is this song for. But it might be a toss between Zhong Ze and Xiao Yu?
10) Song of Happiness (快樂的歌) by Yang Pei An (楊培安). OMG! All of those sad songs and then this happy song. Living up to its title since it definitely brought forth positive feelings. It’s kind of funny to listen to Yang Pei An singing a song bordering on the popular side versus his usual inspirational ones.
11) 58 Degrees of Loneliness (58°寂寞) by Fu Qiong Yin (符瓊音). Another song that was used in Rookies’ Diary and then now used in here. It’s okay though. I seriously don’t mind. Too morbid. YES, that coming from me.
12) Crossroads (分岔路) by Chen Guo Hua (陳國華). This song is just sad. The time I remember it the most was in episode 7 when Ah Bao told Zhong Ze that Xiao Yu had agreed to go with him back to Taiwan. (It was near the end of the episode.) And this song is definitely for Ah Bao. Good call on using this song. Chen definitely brought out the feelings of this song. It was possibly due to the fact that it was written and composed by him. But must give him credit for it.
13) Admired by Thousands (萬人迷) by Ai Cheng (艾成). I don’t remember this song actually playing in the drama. At least not the words but more like the beginning of the song, like the upbeat music. But it was also used in Rookies’ Diary from time to time and especially in Episode 42. This song could also be found in one of Ai Cheng’s album if you don’t want to get this soundtrack. What does this song has to do with this drama? Honestly, I always ponder. Yet maybe it could be referring to Kurt Chou’s character aka Ah Bao? LOL! Considering how he’s just so cool and all in here.
14) Moonlight (月光) by Yang Pei An (楊培安). The ending theme song. An inspirational song–and is also written and composed by Chen Guo Hua. Really suitable for the drama. It describes the people of General Street perfectly and how they’re always so full of hope to overcome all obstacles. This is more like Xiao Yu reaching out to Zhong Ze. Or vice versa, depending on the situation. Nice song as an ending theme. AND yes, this was another song that was used in Rookies’ Diary, but in season 2. I guess FTV was shooting two birds with one stone by releasing this soundtrack.
How come I didn’t number my favorites? I can’t figure out. But my favorites equally are #1, #12, #13, and #14. I couldn’t decide between the four of them since it gives a different feeling yet somehow couldn’t really say I like one or another more. Rare occasion but yeah. The second favorites would be #5 and #2. A very good deal for me, considering how it linked with the drama so perfectly and how I had liked the drama so it made it better.
*All images were scanned by DTLCT