To be honest, I know this drama existed and saw a bunch of people updated on it, but I wasn’t really interested in it. I will admit they do have nice costumes, etc. However, I wasn’t completely sold. At least not until I saw Jia Qing’s participation in it. Sure, I found out that some other people I liked were in here too but that didn’t motivate me to put it on my to-watch list. It was just there. Now that I saw how Huace and Jia Qing had posted stills of Jia Qing in there, my interest went up tenfold.
Her image and outfits for this drama are quite impressive. Here it is, red again, the most overused color of recent. However, this time, they actually do it with the right touch. So yes, finally I’m accepting of it and not going to attack it for this one.
Jia Qing looks fierce and powerful in here, which I’m totally looking forward to. Since she’s back in the ancient world playing some badass role. Hopefully so.
It’s not like she’s wearing red all the time since she has other outfits in here.
Let’s just hope she doesn’t die again like some past productions. Or should I say she has a higher chance of dying in here ’cause it’s a war drama? (LOL) But regardless, can’t wait.
Yes, voting time! I’m putting Janine’s photo up as inspiration! LOL! But there are other people on there, which I tagged some. Go here to vote. You can vote for 5 different people per day. There are about 19 days left so hurry! I voted for Janine (obviously), Alec, Ruby, Angela, and Calvin.
I know it wasn’t getting up there with the ratings while it aired or attempted to draw in viewers–or so some might think. But I enjoyed it a lot because of its lighthearted nature and how it reminded me of the university days. Many could relate to its experiences–though some might think it was overly exaggerated but I felt that I want to point out some things that made it great. *NOTE*: The numbers are there to keep track of how many good points the drama has and NOT listed in events of significant (of one surpassing another or anything like that).
1. Refreshing collaboration among the cast. Aside from several parties who are in the same band or had some past collaboration, the overall cast was very fresh. They came together to make this drama work and it was really something. Sure, some had a hard time adjusting to their roles or others needing to change his or her image to suit the role but it gave off a very fresh feeling.
2. The Chen family. It was nice to see such a large amount of people in the same family. It was crazy at times but it was funny also, seeing different relationships that they developed throughout.
3. Everyone has his/her own story. It’s rare to pull off nowadays since most dramas only focus on the main leads and 2nd leads. That’s it. Yet with this drama being a family one, it allows for a lot of possibilities, letting us see each character having his or her own story without the feeling of anyone hogging the camera too long. Even if they needed to focus on the main couple the most but it was spread out.
4. Each couple have a different story. This is sort of like the previous but not really since this is covering the romance department more. Each couple had their own beginning and other developments throughout, making it unique for each case and more addicting to watch.
5. The interval at which some of the major characters appear. I like the spread out of it all since it wouldn’t crowd the scenes OR make it draggy. If they let the others like Xiao Xue, Gong Hui Qi or Xue Zhi Qiang appear so early in the story, they would end up getting a draggy and/or messed up plotline. The spread out appearances made it a nice pace and NOT too overdone. They didn’t have to rush at the end to make everything work out–as much.
6. Jiro and Cyndi = Jindi. I don’t know. It seems like they don’t look compatible or could not make it work, but I feel there’s this cuteness about them that’s hard to resist. Their off-screen interaction was even more funny, considering they had more freedom than just following the script. Anyway, seeing them wearing matching outfits gets to me all the time while watching the drama. Some people might think that they are too dull or not lively enough BUT I thought it is considered normal, NOT creating the hype on purpose just to crank the excitement up. In fact, I thought there were many conflicts they had to face already, so making their characters even more exaggerated or jumpy would’ve been too much, not to mention clashing with the other characters in here.
7. Gabe Lan and Cynthia Wang as Cheng and Xiao Xue. Seriously, that was way too funny. For some weird, weird reason, I love watching their story more than some of the other ones. Since they were so into fighting each other off and attempting to sabotage each other at first. The developing of their relationship later on was funny as well, considering how they kept somewhat of a secret from the others. Somehow, I felt they were the most like husband and wife, especially the part in the hospital when Shi Lang was shot, they were working together like a team–and like how often seen in husband and wife. Not to mention the shirt he was wearing at that time. (I mentioned this in my episode review before.)
8. The Chen twins: Zhuan and He (Sphinx and Godfrey Gao). They cracked me up each time with their opposite personalities–though they were supposed to be twins. Zhuan was always so knowledgeable and very scholarly, patient (or what it seemed) while He was all actions, quite hot-headed but quite athletic–thus gaining numerous admirers. One of the funniest parts that I remembered about them was the part where all of the brothers were trying to put in their birthdates to see which one was Tao Hua’s #1 brother (aka the best brother) and they failed one by one. When it was Zhuan’s turn and it didn’t work, He ended up grabbing the keyboard to type his birthdate in. Zhuan immediately yelled at him for being an idiot. It sounded mean, BUT it made sense BECAUSE they were twins, OF COURSE it didn’t work!
9. Jing Lun and Jia Ying as Yu Yi and Hui Qi. Although Hui Qi caused some of the problems in here but it was too hard to hate her after learning of her bond to Shi Lang since little. Maybe it had to do with her angelic image. Aside from that, I really like seeing them together. They were just too cute, too compatible.
10. Godfrey Gao and He Mi as He and Xiao Mi. I didn’t really want to put them in since though they were fun to watch, I felt it was a tad on the side of cliche. YET I remembered the parts where they were together with the other couples and it was really fun to watch so I thought I might as well include them.
11. Ken Chu and Annie Chen. Didn’t put it ‘as their characters’ because the last part was a bit off that she suddenly decided to go with someone else BUT came back later. I know that was harsh of me, but it felt a tad too random–even for a comedy. They were just emphasizing some possibilities in life yet I didn’t like it as much. What I do like was seeing these two pair off. It was interesting.
12. The four ‘psycho’ Chen brothers. Honestly, I just love them though they were so evil. It wasn’t because of their looks or because they were so talented only. But it was because of what they would go through to protect their little sister–even if they went over the line. It looked so exaggerated at times, but I think others who have siblings would be able to sympathize with them. If you have one over-protective brother, multiple it by four and you get the result of them.
13. Honduras as Jiro’s father. Honestly, that was just too funny! I was glad they made him so laid-back and understanding. I was sick and tired of seeing the father-in-law criticizing the daughter-in-law for being ‘not good enough’ for his son. He was so supportive of Shi Lang and Tao Hua, even helping Tao Hua to pass the test with her cooking skills. The funniest part was he hypnotized himself to sleep! The bond between him and Shi Lang was really good also. I like how the production team made them look like they were father and son for real (or at least I had that impression).
14. Great casting. At first when I saw how they were at the press conference, I wasn’t sure how it was going to work. But after they were placed into their roles with the right image, it finally fell into place for me. I actually felt that each character was suitable for the roles given–regardless of what role they played in here.
15. Awesome filming technique. Personal opinion, of course. I really liked the idea of shooting using the black and white approach during flashbacks, story recounts or daydreaming ones. It brought some sense of the old time comedic feelings back. There were other techniques too, but I have forgotten somewhat because of a gap between watching and doing this review. BUT I really liked the style overall. *ANOTHER NOTE*: These were just my personal opinions and I just want to share with fellow fans out there. It was not mean to sell anything to others and DO NOT intend to force any beliefs on anyone either. PEACE!
*All images were captured by DTLCT
*WARNING*: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. If you DO NOT want to be spoiled, please DO NOT read. You have been warned.
To continue with that mystery at the end of the previous episode, things were not going well at all. Obviously, especially if it was true regarding the matter OR if the swap was just between the two families or all the families that were victims of that one nurse’s cruel game.
After drawing some blood for some DNA testing (finally since everyone had calmed down after the initial shock of the story that both fathers recounted), everyone went home to wait for the result. While Chen Ba Ba and Chen Ma Ma were arguing over the whole matter, the others were molding it over themselves. And why was He so happy for? That was no time to joke.
When things were getting hectic at the Chen household, it was not any better at the Shi household since they were as worried for Shi Lang’s being–and the possibilities of the outcome. What would the result bring to them all? Preparing Shi Lang for the situation might be the best? Or was it? But that was a great father and son hug–regardless of blood relations. For the first time, Shi Lang agreed to hug Shi Ba Ba. He looked so happy. Love Shi Ba Ba although he could be a bit strange at times.
While everyone was worried out of their wits, Yu Yi and Hui Qi seemed to be in their own world. Yes, they were equally worried about the results since it also affected Yu Yi but it wasn’t as bad for him regardless of the result. It was still funny that Yu Yi and Hui Qi were still able to laugh about the matter. Yu Yi honestly wanted Hui Qi to go look for Shi Lang? Yea right! That was still funny with his mumbling rant. Aww…that was so cute! They must be the cutest couple in here! (Sorry Shi Lang and Tao Hua!)
So funny that Yu Yi was getting special treatment all of the sudden. Not to mention that the others were being really sneaky about it. Why did they need to make up an excuse for being there anyway? Oh…no wonder they had to sneak around.
And that was almost so touching with Zhuan declaring that Yu Yi would always be their brother. A little bonding between them. But did he had to put such a strong emphasis on the matter? Not that Yu Yi did not appreciate their effort in including him in the family, but did he had to hit Yu Yi on the head while doing that?
Another touching scene with Yu Yi and Chen Ma Ma.
I always thought that Qi was in control of the situation regardless of the matter but I guess I was wrong since he was super clueless on stuffs too. Too bad. Can’t blame him, considering what was going on these past days at the Chen resident.
Ekk…Tao Hua ran away from home? Again? Of course it had to do with Shi Lang. This time, things were even more serious but still. The Chen household was once again in turmoil since they were back at looking for Tao Hua. Sounds super familiar all right. Just as they finally decided to pursue the matter on foot, Cheng received a call from Xiao Xue. Huh? Shi Lang was also missing? So He was right?
Was Hui Qi exaggerating? Seriously, would Shi Lang and Tao Hua jumped? She was getting infected with the Chen clan’s vivid imagination all right. Possibly the effects of sticking around Yu Yi too much. And Yu Yi still find the time to act lovey dovey? All right.
Another touching moment before the results would be delivered to them all. It was hard to imagine the Chen clan without Yu Yi. They finally showed some appreciation for Yu Yi–even if they usually bully him. It was a routine, right? A part of their life. It wouldn’t be the same if there was no Yu Yi.
Before the result could come out or they could find Shi Lang and Tao Hua, another drama unrolled for them. Well, for Qi actually since Kai Li was breaking up with him. I sort of guessed what happened earlier (since Qi kept delaying the talk because of other matters) and seriously I don’t blame her but that was too sad for Qi. He was a family man. Everything revolved around his family. If only people would appreciate him for that.
So after 7 dragging days of waiting, they finally get to see the results.They could finally sigh out in relief since Yu Yi was their brother after all. So that meant Shi Lang was not their brother. That was a relief all right. But not sure if he was Shi Ba Ba’s son. Although that did not matter since they’ve been living together for so long but it was good to know too. Qi and Cheng played a trick on them? How could they? So funny that the twins were attacking Cheng though.
Aww…poor Zhuan. Yet he was so cute. Trying to get sympathy from Chen Ma Ma. (But then he did not realize Qi just got dump so they were both single after all.) So funny how he even hugged Chen Ba Ba too. What was that? Even Yu Yi has a girlfriend and he doesn’t? Aww…now their parents made Cheng help him get one.
Aww…Xiao Du Juan so cute! And Shi Zhi Qiang? Honestly?
Yay, Yu Yi’s back to tell us about the happenings since they were last together under the same roof. So Qi and Kai Li reconciled? And I thought Qi was so unlucky that he ended up alone. At least that was a happy ending. So funny that Cheng and Xiao Xue were still fighting like once upon a time. And I thought Shi Ba Ba and Chen Ba Ba already worked out their disagreements. Still funny.
So after that heated debate between Shi Ba Ba and Chen Ba Ba, we were brought back to Yu Yi’s little narration! Wow! Yu Yi was busy all right!
Picture time! Finally! And Yu Yi was right, where in the world was Zhuan? Wasn’t Yu Yi the one who the others usually forget about?
Problem solved! And I almost thought that it was Zhuan’s kid but it was actually Yu Yi’s kid. That answered the question with Yu Yi saying that he have four (but we only saw three so far). How dared Yu Yi assume that Zhuan’s gay? LOL! He was just picky! Not to mention fate didn’t touch him yet! Well, it was late but better than never, right? It was a small world after all. But nice… (Funny that their mother was also asking about Zhuan’s preference. That was a cute exchange between Zhuan and the girl! Cute!) Phew! So they finally get to take the picture after much delay.
It ended with a rating of .69, which could not be helped since it has been lagging since its airing. However, must say that it was still one of the most enjoyable dramas regardless of how the majority of the public had judged it to be.
*All images were captured by DTLCT
*WARNING*: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. If you DO NOT want to be spoiled, please DO NOT read. You have been warned.
Chen Ba Ba and Chen Ma Ma were quite sneaky themselves. The four crazy brothers must have gotten that from them. Can’t blame them for being anxious though since it was a very special occasion. Their son’s future depended on it.
Exactly, wasn’t the occasion for Xiao Du Juan’s celebration? So much for it. Lucky they dodged out of the situation right away. Phew! Nice, Qi and Cheng dodged out of the situation as well! They planned everything well. (Love Cheng’s bragging, lol. “What can I do?” Nice…)
Okay, that was a tad over. Possibly WAY over. How could that hurt Tao Hua so bad? I thought the guys’ yelling were louder than hers. But that was another excuse to leave the scene. Too exaggerated but still funny.The Chen clan were really united tonight to make it happen for Yu Yi.
Moving on to more important matters, especially the time when Yu Yi finally got to be the main guy–like he wanted all along. Aww…so Yu Yi made it. And more references to Charlie Chaplin! But too bad that everything did not turn out as expected. Of course, that would’ve been more realistic but still a shame. At least Hui Qi did not just jump in because of other factors (like recently losing Shi Lang or feeling sorry for Yu Yi). JL’s song came on again for the sake of the scene.
One could not be sad for long though since it was revealed that the rest of the Chen clan were inside the secret headquarter place to watch the scene unfold. Better than watching TV? Qi was always Qi after all. Couldn’t take failure lightly. What were they going to do anyway? They could not force things.
Though things did not turn out too good for Yu Yi, but we get to see more of Shi Lang and Tao Hua. But then someone was sneaking around behind them! Who else but Xue Zhi Qiang. He was so funny acting like that though, thinking that they did not see him. Shi Lang had sharp eyes. Of course Xue Zhi Qiang couldn’t pull that one on him. Was Tao Hua that clueless not to notice? Or was all her attention on Shi Lang that she could care less about her surroundings?
So Xue Zhi Qiang decided to quit it since he was exposed already. But what now? (Cyndi looks so small between those two guys!) Shi Lang looked so cute trying to listen to music while the other two were having a talk. Good for Tao Hua with wanting Shi Lang around at that time. It looked more like Shi Lang was pretending to listen to music but he eavesdropped in on them hence the smile. I swear it seemed like a satisfaction smile.
Xue Zhi Qiang sure was long-winded all right. It took him half a day to talk and he still wasn’t finished. Ekk… Was Shi Lang nodding off? No wait, Shi Lang was supposed to listen to music. (LOL) And Xue Zhi Qiang made a move again! Lucky Shi Lang was there to save Tao Hua! Phew! And finally someone took the hint to leave. But he was creepy all right! Jumping back just like that.
Hahahaha, I knew it! Shi Lang got exposed! He reacted too fast to the other incident so of course it was suspicious. How was he able to react so fast if he wasn’t listening? Still, a very cute scene!
Whoa! Just thought when things could not be anymore unlucky for Yu Yi, it turned way down again. At least he got a chance to save the beauty, right? But these guys were way more serious than the other dude who they encountered last time. Yea, why was Yu Yi smiling? They were supposed to be in danger.
Chen Ba Ba got to be kidding right? How could they do anything all tied up like that? He just had to assume away. Crazy all right! But then he figured it out. It wasn’t late after all or those two would be tied up for a very long time. At least he called the cops. Phew!
Chen Ba Ba really know how to take advantage of the situation all right. He jumped right in to decide everything for them BUT was still funny. Yu Yi was sooo slow. But lucky Chen Ba Ba set him straight. The others were giving him looks though. Of course, why was Yu Yi so happy when Hui Qi just got robbed? And shame on Yu Yi for badmouthing Chen Ba Ba. To think that Chen Ba Ba went through all those work for him.
Aww…another family dinner. They sure looked like a family all right. Did Chen Ma Ma had to shoot them down like that? But then she turned around to give herself all the credit after seeing Qi on TV? LOL! Zhuan had to remind her about it.
Eh…Hui Qi was taking a keen interest on Yu Yi now? Or was it just plain curiosity? Why was she sneaking up on Yu Yi? Still, that was a start. They had a romantic picnic together. How nice! Was just kidding. Wishful thinking on Yu Yi’s part but still. Yu Yi was crazy though! Jumping into the water like that. Well, she was smiling because of his effort. Too bad he couldn’t see.
Eh…why were they always eating? Looks good though. Why was He getting friendly with Hui Qi? What happened to Xiao Mi? Or was he just being nice? What was Zhuan mumbling about again? More old man philosophy? (Nah, was just keeping the conversation going.) Oh…nice convo, but where was Yu Yi? LOL! They got yelled at again! Of course they had to go find him and NOT sit around pondering like that. More power from Chen Ma Ma. Wouldn’t want to upset her.
Yu Yi’s luck need to turn soon. Why did he get himself stuck in such situations again? Who was this old man? So weird. Well, at least Yu Yi managed. Hopefully so. What was with all those questions? 21 Questions time? Uh…I didn’t think those crazy maniacs love Yu Yi all that much while they were bullying him all those times. Wrong philosophy. Oh wow! So there was a purpose after all! He wasn’t just running into all these people out of randomness. Well, Yu Yi got to eat so it was not all for nothing. So funny, Yu Yi fell asleep with the guy’s speech.
On the other hand, the little ride on the water with the grandfather was more successful since there were interesting stories to share. Yu Yi almost blew it! Phew! Er…so it was really fate? Yu Yi wasn’t bluffing. No wonder Hui Qi was saying those words when she saw Yu Yi in the picture she captured. Grandpa didn’t realize how wrong he was in declaring that. Yu Yi and Hui Qi already met. In fact, that was why Yu Yi even went all out on searching for them. Aww…poor Grandpa. Great that Yu Yi let him have a hug though. Probably he needed that since he miss his grand-daughter too much. And Yu Yi got to stay! Yay! At least that made him happy. More with Yu Yi daydreaming. Honestly, Yu Yi need to get a grip but that was so cute. I honestly don’t blame the others for giving him weird looks though. He was acting so weird to them.
Grandpa scared the world out of him! Of course Grandpa already caught on! Yu Yi was acting super suspicious all right! And that was a touching little clip that Yu Yi captured of Grandpa’s speech to Hui Qi. And another hug between Yu Yi and Grandpa! At least Yu Yi initiated it this time around. It was a change that someone appreciate him for once.
While Yu Yi was enjoying himself at the Gong resident, the others were worried sick for him at home, including Hui Qi. If only they knew. But if the four brothers knew, what would they do? Beat Yu Yi up for making them worry?
Yu Yi finally came back! Aww…Hui Qi was starting to like Yu Yi. Good! But then bad for Yu Yi since he managed to stumble upon unfortunate incidents again. Then the four brothers were making everyone dizzy with their pacing. Qi yelling at Tao Hua? A first! (Not really since he was just really worried for Yu Yi.) But it wasn’t as bad as Chen Ma Ma attacking the brothers. And why were they still arguing about blood? Did Zhuan have to be so technical? Oh well… But poor the guys, got beaten up again. And they were punished again. At least this was for others’ benefit. Qi still had the voice to order his brothers around. That was probably the advantage of being the oldest.
And why were they having a party in Yu Yi’s room? That was supposed to be a place for him to rest peacefully. Still, they had to get back at Yu Yi for causing them to donate blood, right? Even if that was supposed to be for the good. And what? Yu Yi has amnesia? How repetitive could it get? Why was it always amnesia? But let’s see how it progress. But so much for it. He managed to get some revenge out of it anyway, driving the brothers nuts though they could not do anything back. But the others were back at it again with their vivid imagination and twisted minds.
Can’t believe they were using the same old technique! The pitiful look! But how could they tell Hui Qi to do such thing? What if Yu Yi did not remember? Wouldn’t it been all a joke? They’ve got to be kidding, right?
Ooooohhhh…yes! That was good all right! Of course he had to pretend or the others would’ve killed him already. Clever move. So funny though that he could finally get out the goodies for her. Food and then some more. And then everything was resolved since Yu Yi miraculously recovered (thanks to Hui Qi’s story) and the Chen brothers were happy and more than grateful for her help. They seriously were clueless. But luckily they didn’t know or they would’ve teared Yu Yi apart.
What? So Chen Ba Ba and Shi Ba Ba knew each other? Wow! That was one big mess…then…ekkk! Don’t tell me! There was a switch? I blame the nurse for playing such a trick! How mean! Irresponsible too. If she wanted to play something like that, she should’ve play tricks on her co-workers and not those poor babies. Gosh! She mixed them all up. That was such a sad closure for this episode. If those two were actually switched, that means Shi Lang is Tao Hua’s brother? Couldn’t be, right? That crazy nurse did switch it around like crazy so it might not be them. Have to wait for the last episode to see though.
It actually went up to .76 for this week but probably won’t save its rating much.
*All images were captured by DTLCT