I totally forgot about reviewing this until I drawn up my task list. This was actually one of the most worth-buying albums during my crazy buying rampage to search for new singers to add to my collections. NOT that he’s new, not implying that, just saying that I can’t believe I’m wasting times on some others while I should be listening to him.
1. An Overdue Love Letter (過期的情書) – This song sinks in around the 3rd or 4th time, I must admit. I wasn’t thinking much of it at first, just a typical lost love song. But I really like the lyrics when listened to more carefully.
2. Why Heartlessly Hurt Me? (怎麼會狠心傷害我) – For some reason, it only caught on with me after the last verse. Sad case but it was too morbid for me. (YES, coming from me who have been going on the ‘morbid’ route for a while now.) It was also on the ‘whining’ side too much for me to endure as well.
3. Blissful Lovers (幸福戀人) – Featuring Shen Dan Dan (沈丹丹) – Sweet, hopeful, cute song. I enjoyed it while listening. (If only my morbid mood would allow me to enjoy it more.) I actually quite like it after paying careful attention to it.
4. Don’t Say You Love Me When I’m Feeling Lonely (不要在我寂寞的時候說愛我) Cantonese Version (粵語) – I started out by listening to the Mandarin verison from someone’s MV so it threw me off when I was listening to the Cantonese version. Not to mention, I felt the Mandarin version had better flow. NOT saying anything about his singing, just the way it flow well or not. Maybe I’ll just have to go back and listen some more to enjoy it for its own version. I felt it was kind of cool listening to the Mandarin flowing in along with the Cantonese for 2 sentences though.
5. In Love, There’s No Wrong Party (愛情裏沒有誰對誰錯) – Featuring T.R.Y. – This took awhile for it to sink in for me too. I like the descriptive words used for the situation. Kind of flowery and in a way, wasn’t too too bitter (hence the title). Sometimes in life, it wasn’t about the whole score keeping with ‘who was right or who was wrong’, etc.
6. Waiting (等) – Kind of bitter and you have a feeling like someone’s really torturing himself with the wait. (Yeah, the title, I get it, but just saying.) Call me ‘love to torture myself’, but I really like this song. It’s really catchy and contain this thick sadness but it wasn’t too heavy either. Not sure if it was the way he sang it or the music. Of course it was obvious he was suffering from the situation described, but it was less of a burden than some of the songs in here.
7. Don’t Say You Love Me When I’m Feeling Lonely (不要在我寂寞的時候說愛我) Mandarin Version (國語) – Okay, now this song really gets one thinking. Is it pity? Sometimes one just needs to be alone and work things out, NOT have someone else come along to try and comfort when it’s just all about the ‘pity’. There’s empathy and there’s empathy. But seriously, sometimes when someone else tries to do ‘good’, it ends up getting way more complicated. I don’t know how many times I repeated this song, but it was A LOT. It’s not just the theme that got me into it but also the lyrics used. (Interestingly enough, it was from the same team who wrote track 2 but this one was just different.)
8. Love You Once (曾經愛過你) – Another sad song. This is probably my 3rd favorite song, minus the talking in between the singing. (It’s not picking on anyone here. I do make exceptions for ‘talking’ during the song, but most of the time, I just don’t like it. Though I know it was relevant in this case.) Anyway, wonderment about what went wrong after breakup or why the relationship didn’t work, etc. But not too bitter into the blaming game since there were considerations of both sides.
9. The Story In The Song (歌中故事……) – He suddenly went all ‘powerful’ in this song. NOT that I’m saying his voice isn’t strong enough, but it was like he was going on a ‘stronger’ vibe, sounding all ‘tough guy’ for this one, lol. A very straightforward song with how all of us go through the same motions in life, whether with emotions or experiencing certain things. Though it’s true and I get it, but not really into it. But it was indeed powerful.
The last 3 tracks are of the instrumentals for tracks 7, 3, and 5. It’s good for your own recording purposes. Other than that, I didn’t feel like listening to them, not really, lol.
Other thoughts? I actually got this album for track 7, but ended up enjoyed the other songs as well. A good deal for me. It was just some album arts and then the singing, straightforward, no ‘gimmick’ to try and lure one in.
*All images were scanned by DTLCT