I must give this series a solid 5 on my scale. It was soooo good. The fact that the beginning to the end was so fast pace and the fact that it actually wrapped up quite well was good too. One of the rare TVB series that was so well written in recent years. Every one of the cast seemed to do really well also, which was amazing. Yes, there were some cliche parts here and there, but there were some of the most unexpected parts happening too. I was hesitant to watch it at first because I was so afraid that some cast might ruin it or wasn’t up to the part, dragging the series down, but several people surprised me totally.
What I like about this series:
- Steven Ma and Bernice Liu – This was before Steps but we could see that they definitely have chemistry as lovers as well as a team. Their characters always meet wit-per-wit so it was really interesting to watch in general. Steven was very clever as Chi Ko (Ken) the lawyer. Bernice Liu’s character, Wing, was a surprise since she was supposed to be a psychologist but it turned out she was a cop. That was a great twist also. Her moves were great with the kick and all. She did look like a cop.
- Ron Ng and Kate Tsui – Surprisingly, both improved from their previous performances. What was even more surprising was Ron was actually impressive in his role. Although he still needs work, I think I wasn’t prepared to see him perform so well, so natural and not exaggerating or too woody like past series. (The reason why I want to avoid watching him as much as possible in the past.) But this was totally different. Kate is really working hard nowadays and deserves some kind of recognition for her improvement. Their chemistry wasn’t bad at all either. At first, I wasn’t all for the idea but was surprised. Such a tragic that Ron had to die at the end. It was a shocker since there was only about 30 minutes more until the series ended. The scene where Kate cried so hard after they discovered the body was very touching and Kate really brought the scene out. It was such a heartbreaking scene. I think she did even better in this scene versus when Kenneth’s character died.
- Law Lok Lam and Ron Ng as father and son – Although they were not really father and son, Leo still respected and treated Chin Pang like his father. Too bad they had to meet the same fate in the end.
- Michelle Yim was really good as the villain with some psycho obstacles of her own whenever she felt threatened. It was a great choice to cast her as Kam Chi because she outshone Elliot Yue and convinced the audience that she was the only villain and that she was the leader, instead of Elliot’s character, Chin Lung.
- Shirley Yeung – Yes, she was an annoying villain–very manipulative and probably even more hateful than Michelle Yim’s character, but I must admit her character played a very important role in causing many ruptures between different characters, especially Kam Chi and Chin Lung. It was a surprise also that Shirley could play such a role also, aside from her annoying spoiled roles or cute, funny ones. (Possibly due to pointers from Michelle Yim?)
- Steven and Kenneth as best friends – Great to see them together as buddies at the beginning, joking and laughing together. Not to mention being there for each other at harsh times.
- Mary Hon – She finally got a role worth praising again although her character sacrificed a lot. Luckily, everything turned out all right in the end.
- Yoyo Chen as Steven’s step-sister – The fact that she was annoying for the first few episodes was just a start, but the turning point was really great and not fake since it took such a gunfight/massacre for her to realize the importance of family. It was also interesting to see the shift in expression–both eyes and face–how she was so mean and nasty at the beginning and nice and calm toward the end. Her acting was worth a mention since it was quite convincing.
The only complaint I have for this series was probably seeing Fred Cheng as a small character in here. It was like wasting his acting for a role they can’t find to fill. But I guess he was busy filming other series? It better be. It would be a shame if he shifted down in the ladder again. Since he really has potential.
Great series overall.
Posted (on Xanga): October 11, 2008
Re-posted: Tuesday, April 13th, 2010